Buffer Overflow: Perfect Record of Futility
Predictions for 2020
Chris Hayner, Delivery Manager
Kimberly DeFilippi, Project Manager, Business Analyst
Brenda Heisler, Resource Coordinator
- Acquisitions and IPOs: HashiCorp and GitLab will both IPO in 2020. Snowflake will also plan to IPO, but AWS will acquire them by August. Google will buy HPE.
- Browser Wars 3.0: Google Chrome will start losing market share to Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Brave will turn out to be a scam.
- Consumer Tech: Apple glasses and Apple Home Robot. Google will release a half-decent watch. Microsoft phone running Android called Surface Phone.
- Enterprise Tech: The first viable space internet plans will become available for enterprises. AWS Outposts will ship about 3,000 units in 2020. Blockchain will sink into further irrelevance.
- Privacy becomes an even hotter topic: More tech organizations will be required to make Privacy a number one focus for their platforms and solutions. Additionally, we will see more GDPR-like legislation around the globe.
- Deepfakes will wreak havoc on both sides of the 2020 US Presidential elections
- Renewable Energy Wars: The end of coal as a power source in the United States will begin in earnest. NY state has already pledged to shut their remaining plants down. I expect at least one other state to do so as well, either by policy or simple economic reality.
- IPv6 will make giant strides, even if users don’t know it
- Streaming Wars: Before the end of the year, one of the streaming services will call it quits and have their shows bought up or licensed by the remaining companies. Current streaming companies will policies to discourage sharing accounts, and these attempts will absolutely NOT work.
- 5G: 5G will continue to be little more than a parlor trick in 2020.
Intro: Jason Shaw – Tech Talk
Outro: Jason Shaw – Feels Good 2 B